Some of the great insights I was able to capture at Blavity’s EmpowerHer conference. Inspired by all the women who shared time and space while there.
Fireside chat with Zim (TravelNoire)
Zim on time management: “Distractions are the enemies of progress.”
- Here are some shared tips on how to live a distraction-free lifestyle:
- Check email in the afternoon, not the morning. Preserve your morning energy doing things that fuel you and not drain you.
- Master your iPhone’s “Do Not Disturb” setting during core work hours and time span when you seek to focus.
- Use the Google Chrome plug-in, FB Purity, to clean distractive posts from your newsfeed.
- Measure time in pomodoros.
- Use a project management app to help keep you on task.
My recommendations: Basecamp, Asana, or Dapulse
Zim on teambuilding: “The key to keeping really great people is by being a really great person.”
- Here are some teambuilding tips suggested by Zim:
- Set 10 “culture values” for your company, and recruit by those, not just skills and “fit.”
- Adopt an “everything is figure-out-able” group mentality.
- Be a doer/executor. If that’s not you (aka if you’re like me, and you are great at ideas), recruit doers to balance the idea mavens, researchers, and strategists.
- Use Slack for team communications to keep conversations out of your inbox.
- Build a positive family and supportive tribe for your team members.
- Take significant time off to keep your energy in balance for smart, productive work.