A 2018 DETOUR Is upon Us
Around this time every year, I enter a deep wave of travel, speaking, and co-creating across the nation, and this year, it begins this week. (Outside of traveling home for my nephew’s first birthday, I’ve been sitting still so far to complete teaching my first college course, Design as a Catalyst for Change, at Washington University in St. Louis.)
Some peole may remember how last year’s travels became heavy enough to be considered as the first DeTour (watch all the moments). And, this year is looking promising for engaging even more deeply with fellow young changemakers in both familiar and new communities across the nation (see below).
As I embark upon these journeys, I would love to keep you with me. In addition to these letters, experience each upcoming adventure via YouTube, and engage the lessons and insights I’ll be learning and sharing.
Also, read to the bottom for some cool perks (like TEDx discounts and a free ticket to the United State of Women Summit), and let me know: of all the social movements happening right now, which one(s) speak most to your heart’s fire?
Major Talks & Convenings—Spring 2018 Dates
If I’m speaking in your city, let me know. It would be great to see you. Let’s talk about art, activism, and innovation in your community. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to pitch ideas and share possibilities.
Arts & Activism Conversation with Author, Natalie Hopkinson
Future States of America: National Arts Summit at John F. Kennedy Center for Performing Arts
Politics, Power, & Design at Washington University in St. Louis
#STL2039 Launch ft. Brittany Packnett, Alison Ferring, Michelle Higgins, and Ryan Rippel
Dwell in Other Futures at the Pulitzer Arts Foundation
Flyover Fest (just attending)
Harvard GSD 99 Provocations
3–6—Baltimore & DC
#Fight4AFuture Gun Violence Summit with Generation Progress
Black Women Speak: Exhibition Talk at The Griot Museum
Rocket Grants Jury & Talk
Theater Communications Group Conference
Americans for the Arts Conference
- I now make new videos EVERY DAY (except Sundays)!! I’ve taken on the infamous #VEDA challenge this month. What’s that?
- Welcome to Innovation City. Listen to my episode of this new podcasthighlighting St. Louis and Miami innovators.
- BTW, Spotify wants to help more black women become podcasters.
- Get a discount on this week’s TEDx in St. Louis. Enter TEDX45 (General Admission, discount from $60 to $45) when you register on MetroTix.
- I overbooked myself. Take my place at the United State of Women Summit.